Sunday, April 15, 2012

Aulacese Sandwich with an American Twist... Yum!

Vegan Aulacese Bacon Sandwich à la Tom

I got to admit, Tom made a salivating, mouth-drenching vegan bacon sandwich using Aulacese-style French baguette that left me hankering for more! It's quick, easy to make, and you can add whatever you like!

Ingredients:
1. Plain Aulacese-style (or Vietnamese) French baguette (or any sandwich rolls, but the French baguette is the best)
2. Tomatoes, as many slices as you'd want
3. Cucumbers, as many slices as you'd want
4. Black pepper
5. Jalapenos to taste
6. Vegan bacon

This is the type of vegan bacon we use:


Once you open the package, you'll see two big chunks like this:


I think there are a total of 20 slices or so, but don't quote me on that. I didn't think to count the slices. Maybe I'll count them next time :)

Directions for cooking the vegan bacon:
1. Heat some oil in a wok or pan.
2. Put 3 or 4 slices, depending on how many you want in your sandwich, in and cook each side for 4 minutes.
3. Sprinkle some black pepper on each side as they cook.
4. Put them on a plate when done.

Directions for preparing the baguette:
1. I like to cut my baguettes into 12-inch sandwiches, but you can cut it however long or short a sandwhich you'd like.
2. Slice down the middle, lengthwise.
3. Toast for a few seconds if you want it hot, optional.
4. Spread vegan mayo, as little or as generously, in the baguette.
5. Put in a layer of the newly cooked vegan bacon.
6. Next, add a layer of tomatoes on top of the bacon, and a layer of cucumber slices on top of the layer of tomatoes.
7. If  you like jalapenos, add some slices to your baguette.

And... it's ready to eat! Now, to make it taste even better, sprinkle some crushed, toasted sesame seeds. Oh la la, c'est magnifique!




The crushed sesame seeds really enhance the flavor of the sandwich. But try one without the sesame, then the next time try it with the sesame seeds (or have half of your baguette with and the other half without the crushed sesame seeds) and you'll see the difference.

This can be eaten at any time of the day, as a snack or a meal. If I have my way, I'd eat two in one sitting. Yeah, I'm a veritable cochon and not afraid to admit it when it comes to good food! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment